Lazuli Green Island Mama

Lazuli Green Island Mama

Sunday, March 13, 2011

back on the blog horse

Well, I lost my blog groove there for a while, after Choochie's fall knocked me off my perch. Let's see if I can get it back (this one's for you Gillian xx).

The air has changed slightly. It is still warm and very humid in our neck of the water, but the clarity of Autumn is beginning. You know, when the air just seems clearer... crisper... more like crystal. What a beautiful weekend we're enjoying.

Yesterday afternoon I awoke from 24 hours of excruciating head pain and could hear bang bang banging coming from the wharf. I often struggle with self-disgust after hours wasted, unable to function with strength and joy due to migraine. So I lifted myself up, dragged my sorry arse down the stairs and chopped up enough melon to feel like I was contributing to the community event taking place. I donned a big hat and sunglasses to shield me from the light, and with large melon platter in hand, headed down the hill. What a lovely sight. Apart from the usual amazing view of Pittwater, there were 11 men from this island community, in water up to their bums, working together to build our new commuter pontoon.

The existing pontoon is old and broken, sagging into the water on deflated floats, and with planks of wood missing, wobbling, or poking the wrong way. Boats are usually tied up to the old girl three or four boats deep and when the tide is low, all boats on one side of her are stuck in the mud, often unable to be pushed out. The new pontoon is loooong, and stable, and will be placed further out into the water so that all boats should be still afloat at all tides. She is coming together beautifully, even more lovely because of all those hands working together on a Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

Over on the ferry pontoon there was just as much action: kids jumping, swimming, water bombing and fishing. And many people standing around just having a chat. As luxurious as your own private jetty would feel, I like the community that thrives around a public jetty.

The working bee continues down there today (I'll try and snatch a photo for you). We've just enjoyed salad and barbequed flathead and a long skinny fish which were yet to identify - freshly caught by the Zimbabwean this morning. While he was fishing, and Noah and Chooch were playing rugby/soccer/cricket/fighting, I've managed to slap the undercoat of paint on to the old bathroom window, continue a couple of sewing projects for newly born little ones, and even paint my toe nails.

Ahhhh, the serenity. Island life is good. Remind me to tell you about the first time I brought myself home by boat at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment