Lazuli Green Island Mama

Lazuli Green Island Mama

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

You can call me Boat Girl

Last week, Chooch had a play at a friend's house. This gave me the time to (more easily) fill the boat with petrol and go to collect our mail.

I toottled off to the Point (where the family car and our post office box live... hub for all island comings and goings) and tied the boat to the old ferry jetty. This meant that some fancy footwork was needed to get from boat to jetty. I'm always a bit nervous that:
  1. I'll fall in.
  2. My boat will escape me.
  3. I'll tie up illegally (and get caught) and face embarrassment in front of seasoned islanders.
But I did it. And it was all good.

Collected most recent ebay bargain and a new craft book from the post office, and I was off again... climbing over a railing, untying, jumping into boat and tootling off. I zoomed around the eastern side of the island and came to a public wharf I've only seen from the ferry. I found our friends' mooring, attached my boat to it, pulled on the rope with all my might and pulled off another jump and a climb up over the jetty railing, to go and collect my Chooch.

...Up the bushy stairs,
along the muddy road,
up the hill to friend's house,
collect child,
find a new bushy path to scramble down together,
scramble around the boat sheds and jetties of the foreshore,
come to our boat,
jump in,
untie and zoom off for home.

O yes. You can call me Boat Girl.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're back in the blogging groove :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be sick of me and my silly stories in no time.

    Note to self (Boat Girl): full skirt will end up around your head when driving boat at 20 knots.

    ReplyDelete