You will need:
3 cups milk
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 strips lemon rind
1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
400g panettone, approx
90g butter, softened
2 egg yolks
2 tbls apricot jam
- combine milk, cream, sugar, rind and vanilla bean in a saucepan; stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil, remove from heat, stand for 10 mins.
- cut panettone into 1.5cm-thick slices. Carefully toast under grill until browned on both sides. Spread one side with butter while hot; cut into pieces and arrange, overlapping, in a greased shallow (2L) overproof dish.
- preheat oven to 160 degrees C (140 degrees C if fan-forced). Put the kettle on to boil.
- whisk eggs and egg yolks in a bowl until combined; gradually whisk in strained milk mixture. Pour custard over panettone in dish. Place ovenproof dish in a larger baking dish, adding enough boiling water to come halfway up side of ovenproof dish. Bake, uncovered for 45 mins or until set. Remove from baking dish.
- heat the apricot jam in a small saucepan for a few minutes, then brush top of pudding with jam.
(I think I saved this recipe from a Woman's Weekly magazine from Winter 2006. O... how special! That was a lovely season. The brewing of Chai.)
Next week, I hope to share with you some piccies and stories from a recent camping trip. Until then, eat and be merry!